Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Duckblogging for Japan

Feeling irritated that I've ignored your favorite duck story for so long? Well guess what: here's your chance to rectify that problem while simultaneously giving to a very important cause. Win-win situation, right? I'm still honestly not quite sure how much of an audience I have here, but this seems like the natural time to use whatever power I may have for good.
I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. Here's how it works:

1. You visit the American Red Cross's Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami donation page.

2. You make a donation. I was sort of hesitant about specifying a dollar amount; god knows I'm not rich, and I don't want to leave out anyone in a similar situation. On the other hand, not specifying a minimum really seems like it would just be leaving money on the table, which in this instance is extremely undesirable. So I'm stipulating at least twenty dollars. That seems pretty reasonable to me. If you can give more, that's awesome.


As you can see, Scrooge is outraged that the Maharajah of Howduyustan outdid his own donation to Japan. He's not gonna let that stand--are you?

3. You'll receive an email confirmation of your donation. Forward it to me at gwmoses@gmail.com. You forward this to me. For your own privacy, feel free to delete your address first (I can see why you wouldn't want a maniac like me knowing where you live). I'm aware that someone could potentially game this system, but I have a hard time imagining anyone being quite that dickish.

4. You specify in the same email what story you want me to write about. It doesn't even have to be a specific story; you could ask me to write about a story I love, a story I hate, a story I'm indifferent to, a story about X character, a story by X creator, a story on X theme--whatever (though if you get overly specific in a scavenger-hunt-ish way, it may take me some time to figure out what I'm doing.

5. The only limit on what you can request is that it has to have been published in English (or French)--but if it's so obscure that I don't have a copy and I can't find one online (or if it's in French, almost certainly), you will have to provide me with scans.

6. Also, please specify what name or pseudonym you'd like to be acknowledged by on the blog (or if you prefer to remain anonymous).

7. Don't expect your request to go up instantly--I honestly don't have the faintest idea what kind of response I can expect here, so I may have a lot to deal with, and I have other academic and life-related obligations too. But I will absolutely get to you eventually.

8. There's no firm deadline to donate--this offer will be open as long as aid is needed, i reckon.

Thanks! If you have any other questions, just ask! And give generously!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sim said...

Great Initiative!

March 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home